Your Feedback

Do you have an idea? Would you like to make a suggestion to help us to improve our services?

We welcome your ideas, comments and feedback.

You can complete an online form here.

If you are not satisfied with our service, please contact us. We take complaints seriously and aim to resolve them quickly and fairly.

If you remain dissatisfied with our response, you may contact the Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC). The HCC responds to complaints about health services and the handling of health information in Victoria. Their service is free, confidential and impartial. To lodge a complaint with the HCC: